Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hats in Heaven

January 6 was the 9th anniversary of my grandma's death.  I didn't think about it that much on that day, but then today came, the first Sunday after the anniversary... the day I wear a hat in remembrance of her.

In the last 9 years, I think I have cried less than I did today.  Today, as I got dressed and pulled my box of her hats down out of my closet, I could not help but go over every Sunday I ever watched my grandma get ready for church.

My grandma would get up and make breakfast.  Usually she would make hash-browns (potatoes were a big staple). She would feed my grandpa, and me in the years that I lived with her.  I watched her do the dishes and walk up the stairs to get dressed.  Growing up and until I was 18 years old, I would sit by the door in her closet and watch her carefully pick her outfit and then her jewelry.  Then she would go to the bathroom and do her make up and curl her hair.  She would rat all her curls until her hair was nice and big, and then walk back into her closet, crawl onto the floor and behind her clothes to the boxes of 99 hats.  She would explain to me how she had them color coordinated and in the appropriate boxes for seasons.  I would watch her pick the right hat, crawl back out and in front of the mirror, and then cover up the hair she just ratted.  Then she would find the matching shoes and walk back down the stairs.  She would stand at the bottom of the stairs and wait for my grandpa to take her picture -- in the same spot he did every Sunday (later that picture would be added with the others to her photo album called "The Mad Hatter"). 

I went over all of these things in my mind this morning as I got ready, and chose my hat (her hat) for the day.  When I came out of my room, all of my kids wanted to know why I was wearing a hat.  So, I sat down and I told them about my grandma.  Morgan immediately wanted to wear a hat too, and soon so did Charlie, and then Hayden.  So, before walking out the door, we made sure that we all had a hat on today. 

I loved my grandma.  I love that she loved God with all of her heart, and that Sundays were one of her favorite days, and some of my best memories.  I thank God today for her time on this earth that I got to know her, and watch her.  I thank God that some day I will again be with my grandma in Heaven, and that she and I will get the chance to wear hats, because I believe there are hats in Heaven!

4 comments:

Elaine Taylor said...

I love the story about your Grandma's hats. It is those wonderful ties with our family that live on.
I love the color of the one you wore this year. It is neat that the girls wanted to wear hats as well.

Jordyn said...

This makes me so so happy! Thank you for continuing grandma's tradition and sharing what you remember about her. It's so so important!

Kendra said...

Jordyn... I do never get tired of telling stories of growing up, and I find that being the 2nd oldest cousin, it's my job to tell them. :)

Anonymous said...

well said! make me cry!!!